Research group leader
Departments and Institutes
Our research is aiming to understand how cells in humans communicate with each other, how signals are transmitted from one cell to anotherm and how cells interpret these signals at atomic level detail. Many disease states are affects by errors in communication between and within cells, and we hope to elucidate these details in order to understand how complex organisms work and what causes these diseases. Using this information we aim to develop novel drugs that will act against these signalling molecules and correct the problems associated with them.
1. Innis, C.A. & Hyvönen, M. (2003) Crystal structures of the heparan sulfate-binding domain of follistatin. Insights into ligand binding. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 39969.39977.
2. Hyvönen, M. (2003) CHRD, a novel domain in the bone morphogenetic protein inhibitor chordin, is also found in microbial proteins. Trends Biochem. Sci. 28, 470.473.
3. Harrington, A.E., Morris-Triggs, S.A., Ruotolo B.T., Robinson, C.V., Ohnuma, S. and Hyvönen, M (2006) Structural basis for the inhibition of activin signalling by follistatin The EMBO Journal 25, 1035-1045
4. Ludlow, H., Muttukrishna, S., Hyvonen, M., Groome, N.G (2008) Development of a new antibody to the human inhibin/activin betaB subunit and its application to improved inhibin B ELISAs. J Immunol Methods 329:102-11
5. Valkov, E., Sharpe, T., Marsh, M., Greive S., and Hyvönen, M. Targeting protein-protein interactions and fragment-based drug discovery (2012) in Topics in Current Chemistry: “Fragment- based drig discovery and X-ray crystallography” 317:145-79. ed. T. Davies and M. Hyvönen.
6. Scott, D.E. , Ehebauer, M.T., Pukala, T., Marsh,M, Blundell, T.L., Venkitaraman, A.R., Abell, C., Hyvönen, M. (2013) Targeting the RAD51:BRCA2 Protein-Protein Interaction using Fragment-based methods. ChemBioChem 14(3):332-42.
7. D.E. Scott, A. G. Coyne, T. L. Blundell, A. Venkitaraman, C. Abell, M. Hyvönen (2014) Small molecule inhibitors targeting protein-protein interaction in the RAD51 family of recombinases, ChemMedChem, DOI: 10.1002/cmdc.201402428
8. G. Fischer, M. Rossmann, M. Hyvönen. Alternative Modulation of Protein-Protein Interactions by Small Molecules. Curr Opin in Biotech (2015), pp. 78-85 DOI: 10.1016/j.copbio.2015.04.006