skip to content

EPSRC CDT in Sensor Technologies for a Healthy and Sustainable Future

Travel Information

Each Sensor CDT student is awarded a £2,000 travel allowance for the duration of your study (MRes through PhD).  Ideally the allowance should be used to fund one UK and one overseas conference however, we understand that this is not always possible.

You are encouraged to read the University’s travel policy.  You will note that you should always choose the most cost-effective method of transport for journeys, bearing in mind the numbers travelling and time considerations.  Wherever possible, and subject to business needs, travel reservations should be made well in advance to take advantage of cheaper fares or accommodation.

Before making any arrangements for travel, you must complete a Sensor CDT expenditure authorisation form (a copy of the form can be downloaded here).  You will need to obtain the signature of your supervisor before passing the form to the CDT Office (either in person or by email to ).  A member of the CDT Management Team will then be asked to approve the expenditure.  You will be emailed when approval has been granted or, with a request for further information.

Once funding has been approved, there are various ways in which you can proceed with booking your travel, as detailed below:

  1. Send your travel request to the CDT Offfice: You should research all aspects of your trip (flights, rail, accommodation, conference fees, etc) and email this to  Flights, rail tickets and accommodation are usually arranged via the University’s preferred travel agent, Key Travel, by the CDT Office based on the information you supply.  A traveller profile will need to be completed the first time you travel with Key and this will be sent to you via the Key online portal.  A quotation for your preferred travel items will be sent to you for you to accept.  Once you accept the quote, the bookings will be made for you and charged directly to the CDT.  You will receive help and guidance from the CDT Office throughout each step of the process.

    Unfortunately the CDT is unable to make any payments by credit/debit card for conference fees, accommodation, etc.  We can arrange payment by bank transfer however, this can take a while to set up.  If payment can only be made by credit/debit card, you are asked to discuss the details with the CDT Office as early as possible and well in advance of any payment deadlines.

  2. Make arrangements via your department: Some departments are able to help with travel arrangements and conference fee payments.  If you would like to make use of this service, please contact the appropriate person in your department to make a request (note, those based at CEB should follow either point 1 or 3).  To reclaim costs from the CDT, departments should arrange for an IDN, with supporting evidence of costs incurred, to be sent to for payment.
  3. Book and pay personally (only if option 1 or 2 above are not available to you, or if absolutely necessary): If you wish to make some or all of the arrangements for your trip personally, you can do so and then request reimbursement from the CDT by completing a Form FD1A: Expenses Claim Form.  Please send all claims to the CDT Office for processing.  Payment will be made to you by the University.  Note, you must provide original receipts to accompany each item you wish to claim for.  Copies or photographs of receipts will not be accepted.  For claims which include foreign currency, please include your credit/debit card statement so that the correct exchange rate can be used. 

Visas and Vaccinations

Visas should be arranged personally or through a University approved source.  Any costs incurred in arranging an appropriate visa will be reimbursed by the CDT.  It is important that you consider any necessary vaccinations for your destination country.  Some basic information on visas and vaccinations is provided by the University.

Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance for business trips is provided by the University and is free of charge (see the Insurance Section website for further information).  The application process takes just a few minutes to complete.  It is your responsibility to arrange travel insurance.

Risk Assessments and Working Away

In January 2019, the University introduced guidelines relating to travel, fieldwork and working away from Cambridge (University information and guidelines).  This guidance includes information relating to risk assessments, which all staff and students undertaking travel must comply with before leaving Cambridge.  For help with completing risk assessments, please see your Departmental Safety Officer.

General Information

The University does not sanction the use of AirBnB and will not reimburse any costs incurred by using this service.